If you follow video marketing trends, you may have noticed an increase in animated videos with anime-style avatars. This content is created by VTubers, and it takes up the creation of content storm.
Top VTubers has millions of followers and earns hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.
According to experts, the industry is on the rise. HyperSense shared that the number of total VTuber subscribers increased by 28 percent in 2019, while the total views of Vtuber content increased by 99 percent.
At first glance, this may not seem like a serious trend. However, marketers and brands like Mattel and KFC use virtual YouTubers to gain serious engagement.
What exactly are VTubers, and why should you care? This is what you need to know to become a Vtuber or use this new trend to grow your business.
What is VTubers?
VTubers (short for virtual YouTubers) are content creators who use animated avatars and stop motion graphics in their videos, rather than their physical likeness. Like most vloggers, they talk to the camera and share their opinions on a wide range of topics and products.
Some of the top virtual YouTubers include Kaguya Luna, Kizuna AI, The Omega Sisters and Kiryu Coco.
The trend has exploded in popularity over the past few years, with the best content creators earning millions of dollars. For example, VTuber Kiryu Coco earns about $ 134,000 per month.
What do VTubers do?
VTubers uses animated parables to share music videos, game tips, impressions, live streams, and even product ads. Many use manga-style avatars, often with large eyes, small beaks and brilliant hair colors. Regardless of being animated, the avatars are often remarkably lifelike.
Here is an example of one of the original VTubers, Kizuna AI.
Although the personality, voice and physical resemblance differ from creator, most animation personalities are with high energy, fun and love.
VTubers, like other YouTubers, creates a wide variety of content. Some play video games, model clothes, share their opinions on political situations, watch movies or even release their own music videos.
Many also work with brands to promote products and services.
The history of VTubers
In 2011, Japanese YouTuber Ami Yamato created a 3D avatar to share her feelings about returning to London after spending a few years in Tokyo. Her avatar is slightly more muted than the anime versions that many VTubers use, but her avatar is influenced by Japanese culture and graphic novels.
Although the first video was more of a journal entry, later videos have a more humorous approach. For example, Ami imagines her on a blind date with the Mandalorian in the Star Wars universe, or an interview with Godzilla.
In 2016, the Kizuna AI channel started and it got more than 4 million subscribers. Unlike Ami Yamato, Kizuna AI is a fully AI, fully autonomous digital celebrity. The channel was originally run by the company Activ8, which later built an entire character management company and created several spin-off versions.
Since then, hundreds of other virtual avatars have launched channels, including more controversial YouTube celebrities, like Pewdiepie.
VTuber Technical Requirements
The Vtuber videos may seem complicated to create, but the format is becoming increasingly accessible thanks to advances in digital technology and software.
Here is a brief overview of the technology you need to become a VTuber. You may need extra accessories, such as a microphone or phone holder, but this is not necessary.
- Webcam: Ideally, you want a high quality webcam, not just a laptop camera. However, as camera technology improves, you can use a standard built-in webcam.
- Microphone: Use a separate microphone to ensure high quality sound. Blue Yeti and Hyper Ex both sell high-end microphones for less than $ 200.
- Mobile: If you plan to record or edit videos on the go, you need a smartphone with a high quality camera and recording capabilities. Alternatively, you can rely on your home setup and skip this requirement.
- Software for creating avatars: This is a software that turns your recorded videos into an animation. Different platforms offer a variety of features, including shortcuts for specific facial expressions, motion capture, background settings and more. Popular options include VDraw, VSeeFace and VMagicMirror.
Although you can spend hundreds of dollars (or even thousands of dollars) on the best technology, you can use the camera and the computer you already have.
First try free avatars creation software with your current setup and see how it works. You get an idea of how the software works, and you can always upgrade later.
How can marketers use VTubers?
Marketers can use VTube creators as part of their influence marketing campaigns. Although the characters are animated, creators often have thousands or even millions of followers. The large audiences can be used to promote music, fashion lines, movies and even increase tourism.
The popular VTuber Kizuna AI, for example, is working with the Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) to create a “Come to Japan” a campaign aimed at attracting American tourists to Japan.
Here are some other ways to use VTubers in marketing:
- Work with a popular VTuber to review your product or software: It is ideal for games, clothing and other products aimed at younger audiences.
- Pay to have a VTuber show your logo in their stream: For example, on their shirt, coffee mug or even in the background.
- Connect your own avatar with a well-known VTuber: The popular VTuber Subaru (not the car company) shared their excitement about the redesign through KFC’s Twitter. Although this video may not have been sponsored, it was a boost for the brand:
How can businesses use VTubers?
Businesses can use virtual YouTube creators in several ways. For example, they can create a brand avatar or partner with popular creators through influencer marketing.
It may sound strange, but it works.
One of the most popular virtual YouTubers in the world is the avatar of KFC:
In addition to marketing, businesses can use VTubers in other ways. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Create fun or quirky help videos with an avatar.
- Animate customer reviews.
- Use avatars for your employees to create behind-the-scenes videos.
- Make short cuts to use in television or social media ads.
- Record a webinar with your VTuber avatar.
- Make store videos to showcase your product in a virtual environment.
As a business, VTubers can help you connect with a younger audience. However, do not think that you are limited to marketing content. Using VTuber technology can make any type of content you create more entertaining.
How to become a VTuber
Considering becoming a VTuber? You might be surprised to know that you do not need much to get started with content creation. Here is a step-by-step process to become a VTuber.
- Set up your technology: Make sure you have a quality camera, microphone and computer to record and edit your videos. You do not have to invest thousands of dollars. If you can, start with what you have and then invest in better video equipment if you learn more.
- Choose an avatar software: There are dozens of software platforms available, so I recommend that you test a few before deciding on one. Some of the more popular platforms to consider are VRChat, Wakaru and PrprLive. Many of these offer free versions, though you may have to pay for advanced features.
- Create your avatar: One of the most interesting parts of becoming a VTuber is creating your avatar. Using avatar software, you can create your avatar from scratch or create a avatar example and changes the skin color, eyes, lashes, etc. While designing your avatar, think about the long-term goal of your VTube content. Are you targeting teens, adults or even professional software users? Make sure your avatar appeals to you target audience. Remember, it does not have to look like you at all.
- Set up your channel: Where will you share your VTube creations? While most VTube content is on YouTube, you can share videos on your website, Instagram, TikTok or others social media platforms. Consider uploading and hosting videos on YouTube, then sharing the links on other platforms. Make sure optimize your YouTube channel if this is the path you are following.
- Create a content calendar: Once you have created your avatar and set up your channel, decide what type of content you will create. Although you do not have to post new content every day, you need to post consistently. What will you talk about? Will you interview experts, play video games or share your opinion on industry news? Consider yourself marketing goals when designing your content calendar.
- Record your first video: Now is your time to shine. Record your first video, convert it into your avatar in your avatar software and send your video live. Do not expect overnight success; build a YouTube sequel can take months.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to become a VTuber?
If you already have a computer or smartphone, it costs almost nothing to become a VTuber. All you need is a computer or smartphone and avatars creation software. There are several free or freemium software options to help you get started.
How much does VTubers earn?
Who are some popular VTubers?
Some of the most popular VTubers include Kizuna AI, Yousa, Lil Miquela, KFC, AI Games and Momo.
Are VTubers all anime-style characters?
No. Although the vast majority of characters use anime or anime style, some like it Ai Engel is more realistic. However, since most software uses avatar to create anime styles, it may require a mocap pack and more expensive software to create other style animations.
Do I need a Mocap pack to be a VTuber?
No. A motion recording pack can help you make extremely high, realistic videos, but it is not necessary. With most VTuber software platforms, you can design your avatar and gestures through editing.
How does VTubers make money?
VTubers can earn revenue by displaying ads on their channel, hosting Super Chats, partnering with businesses or brands to promote their products, or selling their own products or services.
Conclusion of VTubers
Take VTubers video marketing to new levels. These animated content creators are becoming celebrities in their own right, with top creators earning millions of dollars and attracting large groups of followers.
Is this the future of video content creation? Only time will tell. However, brands and marketing staff should consider adding VTube content digital marketing strategies.
Are you considering working with VTubers? What is holding you back?
See how my agency can manage Massive Amount of traffic to your site
- SEO – Unlocks large amounts of SEO traffic. See actual results.
- Content Marketing – our team creates epic content that is shared, gets links and attracts traffic.
- Paid media – effective paid strategies with clear ROI.